[Tig] colour decision list

Frank Hellmann frank at opticalart.de
Tue Mar 10 14:41:06 GMT 2009

Hi,

I hope a reason why we as a mostly film-based post-house are not using
them is also OK.

In my humble opinion CDLs are useful in digital or video based
productions, because then you'll have common ground to start from. For
example, a DoP of a video shoot can adjust or pregrade a shot on-set
with the video signal available there and this signal will pretty much
be the same that a colorist starts from. If you then apply this in
editing and even start pregrade certain scenes there, this being
exported towards the grading suites, might work quiet nicely.

If you consider film based productions, you'll never know if the
viewfinder/video output taken from the film camera has anything to do
with whats recorded on the negative. Therefore any grading decision done
on-set or in editing with this video will not be that easily applied
back to the original negative, as you have two different medias and
starting points. Some one might argue, that if you use certain vendors
calibrated telecine workflows this drawback of film can be compensated,
but honestly I wouldn't rely on this to be anything close.

Also, if you start out with a telecined negative for editing and you
will go back to scan this on a different scanner the CDLs won't
necessarily match again.

But, I think the biggest drawback is, that these decisions are done
under a lot of time pressure. The DoP usually doesn't have time to sit
back on a set to do some pre-grading. The editor needs to get the story
right and not the look. So most of the time I find the Look-Books (is
there an official term for that?) that a DoP does by just taking some
digital stills and giving them a look at his hotel suite later on more
useful to abstract what he wants.

As I said, just my humble opinion...

       Best,

                Frank...