[Tig] Kinescope transfers--Moiré reduction or elimination during/after telecine

Peter Sutton peter at kaurus.com
Sat Mar 14 18:52:26 GMT 2009

This sounds like Ursa's Scandal.
It was quite cool as we could set the control of this on the desk to have a
one of two min to max settings. The spot would be incrementally made
elliptical from fully anti as a round spot to the point of nonsensicle
defocus when fully clock, or, have a mid point of zer (round spot) and
scandal toward clock and round spot defocusing toward anti. If memory
serves, this was a programmable parameter but I don’t think it was used
under programme control that often.

There was also a feel you could get with subtly using the aperture
correction settings in tandem with Scandal. You could play around with
coring, course and fine controls to carefully bring a little lost definition
back without making it look false.
Although I played with this with good results on Millennium it's in the
hands of the colourist this used to best effect

Peter Sutton
Kaurus Ltd

(Ex Cintel and ITK in a past life)

Kaurus® Limited
Ph: +44 (0)1992 460 591
Mob: +44 (0) 7779 242 790
Email: peter at kaurus.com
Web: www.kaurus.com
Skype: petertk1

The usual solution is to optically defocus the scanner - you lose a bit of
the top-end resolution, but it prevents the scan lines aliasing back as
low-frequency patterning. On flying spot telecines, I used to adjust the
astigmatism so that the spot was oval, reducing vertical resolution but
maintaining horizontal resolution.

	Steve Roberts | Senior Engineer | BBC Resources
	Room 3501 | BBC Television Centre | Wood Lane | London | W12 7RJ
	T: +44 (0)20 857 64556 | F: +44 (0)20 857 61639
	BBC Resources Limited
	Registered Number 3593793 England
	Registered Office: Television Centre, Wood Lane, London W12 7RJ