[Tig] Plasma Displays

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Mar 15 15:46:15 GMT 2009

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009, Kassner, Neal wrote:

> I was talking to an equipment reseller yesterday, a guy who's worked
> in the New York City market for a very long time, so I think he
> knows whereof he speaks. He told me that post facilities around town
> are beginning to install plasma displays in their grading rooms due
> to the absence of high-quality LCD or LED displays larger than
> 23-24". Apparently today's plasmas have acceptable black
> reproduction, colorimetry, and view angle, good enough so that size
> matters. If true, are other non-NY facilities going the same route?

It was only a month ago that I suggested here that high-grade consumer
DLP displays could be used in a grading room given sufficient
attention to setup and calibration.  I was taken to task at that time
for suggesting something so inadequate, but now I see that people are
accepting of Plasma, which is surely a less suitable technology than
DLP, LCOS, or even LCD.  Most experts would score Plasma dead-last
when it comes to stability and accuracy.

What's up with that?  Has the raw sex-appeal of Plasma become more
important than stability and accuracy?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn