[Tig] dissolves. Apple COLOR.

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Sat Mar 21 18:26:56 GMT 2009

> continuing the thread about dissolves (dynamics), I've run up
> against a problem in
> Apple COLOR with regard to dissolves when applying curves.  It
> seems impossible to
> implement a dissolve when changing a curve.
> can anyone comment?

Your friendly APPLE COLOR trouble shooter here.  That's right, its a
failing.  You cannot keyframe the Primary or Secondary curves.  The
HSL curves in secondaries cannot be vignetted.  There are two
workarounds.  One can be done inside COLOR, and the other depends on
Approach A is to use HSL qualifiers in the secondaries instead of the
HSL curves... but in Primary In/Out, the curves are simply off-limits
if you want a dynamic grade transition.  You are forced to use the 3-
way sliders (if you don't have a ring-and-ball panel).  Unthinkable
in daVinci, but as Buzz Lightyear put it.... "We're not on my planet,
are we...." .

FCP workflow is to do two complete grade passes on the designated
clip, render, export, and do the dynamic on the FCP timeline.  There
are issues within the axial/radial dynamic interpolation that might
force you to do this anyway.

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
302-9664 106 Avenue