[Tig] S8 to 2k data

Marc Wielage mfw at musictrax.com
Sun Nov 8 03:43:06 GMT 2009

On 11/6/09 7:13 PM, "David Tosh" <dlt at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Who (besides Mr Swinson) would claim there was any
> information in S8mm
film that could not be extracted by a 625 real time
> (4:4:4 if you
insist) transfer? Then up-rez to "2K" if that is what pipes
> into your
workflow.

I would argue, rather than go to 2K data, just transfer it to 24PsF HDCam
(or SR 4:4:4), and then transfer the tape as 2K DPX files for the final
workflow.  I bet that would look better than PAL.

I'm not convinced there's a drastic difference for 16mm going to HDCam vs.
scanning as data, either.  Even with 35mm, there's plenty of DI projects
that have gone through SR as an interim scanning medium, and they came out
fine.

--Marc Wielage
  Cinesound/LA