[Tig] vfx to grading

richard unger rpunger at mac.com
Wed Sep 16 17:07:28 BST 2009

I agree a lot has happened in the last 2 years. And I see more career
paths in finishing, color, vfx becoming less defined by just one
talent.  The melding of skills are creating new approaches to image
design creativity. As an example I have been a Colorist for 20 years,
learning my trade through thrill and disappointment. And I mostly
worked on platforms that did one thing "Color" and these  boxes are
good at it. 3 years ago I took my color skills and applied them to a
box that could finish, vfx, comp, title, design and color my
specialty. Now I am a colorist who enjoys finishing, comping, and
design work, all complimenting with color. It is a thrill for me to
comp a sky replacement and color it in context. Or creating dramatic
day for night looks , comping and grading foregrounds and
backgrounds. So for a Flame vfx person making a move into color I
encourage it. And again learn color through by getting your hands on
the basic functions all color graders do, and play.  It would be
great if  we crossed paths in the middle sometime.  Good luck and
great images.

Rick Unger
Ringside Creative
248-548-2500 main