[Tig] Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Electronic Cinema Presentation

peter_swinson at compuserve.com peter_swinson at compuserve.com
Thu Sep 24 23:58:50 BST 2009

I have no idea where this was shown, but Cliff Benham seems
well disappointed.

It is now many years since HD scanners hit the streets
but I do remember way back in those early days a certain colorist in L.A., on scanning an IP composited
from, I guess, Technicolor separations, wowing the fact that until the HD scan of
the IP he had not realized that Dorothy had freckles. Seems the film prints
lost this subtlety.

It worries me if Cliff’s experience is an indication as
to the lack of care sometimes associated with digital projection, or the
digital image source.

I am a converted film man when it comes to presentation.
While I will always claim=2
 0shooting film will for many years outclass shooting
digital, presenting the results in quality digits gets my vote every time.

Now who was that colorist who spotted the freckles, Post
Logic & Lou L. come to mind.