[Tig] Flat scans to SR

Craig Leffel craig at optimus.com
Fri Sep 25 04:41:11 BST 2009

>SR stock is pretty expensive too.

>From a perspective of quality and also having a streamlined approach -
scanning surely is much more preferable to a video transfer to a compressed
HD tape format - no matter how good that compression might be.

Rick - FSM, Sydney

You haven't said anything I don't agree with. We can scan at 2K, we just rarely do. Most of our work finishes HD 1080i video, and working in this way ( 1920x1080 23.98 Pfs RGB 4:4:4 HDCamSR )
affords us a realtime workflow, without the issues of 2K texture or grain, and also gives us an archive that is more efficient, easier and cheaper than LTO robots hanging on large storage SANS.
We do hundreds of commercials a year, and we haven't seen a significant loss in quality given what our usual working parameters are, and what goes on the air.
I never suggested there was zero loss of image resolution or that it was a higher quality workflow. Just one that makes more sense for the work we do. Scan 'em if ya got 'em.

Craig Leffel

Senior Colorist