[Tig] New Super 8mm film from Kodak ... ???

Robert Houllahan rob at cinelab.com
Thu Apr 8 02:09:36 BST 2010

>> Thanks for those examples.  My experience in grading and transferring S8 seems always to involve vertical and horizontal weave

I know that Oxberry makes 8mm gates that are pin registered so you could do scans on a cinescan.

 I think horizontal weave is easily solvable in telecine I don't see it in the gate I built for our ranks, vertical is another issue.

The P+S Steady-Frame is one possible solution however they have said that a 8mm option is not happening, the scanner machine vision registers the perf to the frame and in my experience with it there would be no difference between that system and a mechanical pin.

Jeff Kreines at Kinetta solves this issue with a separate optical register of the perf which fires the illumination and camera based on detection.

I think the three above solutions can surpass telecine in vertical registration but with the gate/servo aligned well on a thompson or cintel/metaspeed telecine they can be close.

Optical blowups to 16mm and then using pin reg equipment for 2K is another solution, expensive though for the IP or IN it has it's own look and it is good.

It is Super-8 after all.....

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
rob at cinelab.com