[Tig] $995 DaVinci

Owen Williams owen at ywwg.com
Tue Apr 13 00:44:33 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 22:45 +0000, jfmann at optimum.net wrote:
> I have not confirmed this yet, but I got the info from a Euphonix rep.

I talked to an Avid rep about Euphonix.  Technically they have stated an
"intent to buy" which should be resolved around april 20th.  From my
discussion, it sounds like they are really interested in the broadcast
panels, which fill a hole in Avid's range of pro audio panels.  In
general, they don't plan to "absorb" Euphonix, preferring instead to
keep the product lines intact and separate.

Regarding MC Color, Avid seems eager to start selling peripherals to the
final cut crowd -- they have no plans or motivation to discontinue, lock
down, or otherwise hobble MC Color.  That said, there are no currently
announced plans to make MC Color work with symphony or MC, but they're
not stupid and are probably looking in to it.

Now that MC Color works with Color, RedCine-X
(http://reduser.net/forum/showpost.php?p=582357), and will probably work
with Da Vinci soon[1] ... Avid seems like the odd man out not supporting
it.  Here's hoping they devote some resources in that direction.

Owen Williams (@ nab)

--
Online Editor / Colorist
Rockhopper Post Production

[1] I talked to black magic, and they said they are making sure the da
vinci is open to all comers, even supporting output cards other than
decklink.  Support will most likely come from euphonix, I suspect.