[Tig] The Modern Conundrum

Marc Wielage mfw at musictrax.com
Mon Aug 2 03:53:46 BST 2010

On 8/1/10 3:47 PM, "Rob Lingelbach" <rob at colorist.org> wrote:

> Cousin Anders Uhl sent me clip that might find traction among our
> group...
>------------------------------<snip>------------------------------<

Hey!  That guy stole my idea:

"Sound Mixer Hell"
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6807847/

which I posted 4 days earlier.  But he has more hits than my cartoon (33,000
vs. 20,000).

I gotta say, these are universal, industry-wide problems:  getting beaten
down on day-hire rates by cheapskate producers.  I've gotten emails from
editors, visual effects people, colorists, video assists, D.I.T's, DPs, and
many others all complaining of the exact same problem.

> A secondary irony is not lost because this piece could have
> been done so well by an Animator.

The difference is:  I'm not putting anybody out of work with my cartoon.

I also admit to having been influenced by the infamous "iPhone vs. EVO"
cartoon that surfaced a few weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&feature=related

This one has had 6 million hits (!) since it was posted on June 24th.  Very
funny -- but it reportedly cost the Best Buy employee who created it his
job.

--MFW