[Tig] Printerlights

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Sat Dec 11 01:04:02 GMT 2010

On Dec 10, 2010, at 9:49 AM, peter_swinson at compuserve.com wrote:

> Many yearsago Rank Cintel developed , at the request of several DOPs, an automatic methodof determining a set of RGB printer point values from a shot negative. I tghinkit was called DME.  However the systemnever caught on as it required a fixed grey card to be recorded in the scenebefore the action, something that rarely happened!

Hi Peter,

There were also developed at least a couple of control systems for color balance and exposure control through the telecine process.  Kodak had theirs, which involved calibration films and the shooting of your aforementioned fixed grey card.  Gamma & Density had another system (I believe both of these are from the early to mid-nineties) involving a specific chart as shot by the film camera.

These systems weren't meant to replace the colorist, but rather to give him/her a reference or index to determine absolute exposure values, as feedback for the cinematographer and colorist.

In film capture, there still exists, I believe, the concept of shooting some test footage to determine and/or reassure the DoP and colorist of expectations. I tend to see less of this in digital capture, and wonder if other colorists concur?  A good test is always worthwhile, IMHO.

Rob

--
Rob Lingelbach       TIG admin, colorist
rob at colorist.org     http://rob.colorist.org