[Tig] Youtube for dailies

Jack James jack at surrealroad.com
Tue Dec 21 11:25:17 GMT 2010

Since I first asked this question, and reading through peoples' comments, I
actually tried using Vimeo for exactly this purpose.
First off, this is not an exercise in trying to deliver ultra-secure,
maximum-quality beauty-pass footage, etc etc. It is, as Dan pointed out, a
pragmatic way to allow a client to easily view footage on their laptop.

I did a short shoot for a client that involved children, so my concern was
not allowing the footage to be publicly viewable (yes, the Vimeo staff can
probably watch it, and good luck to them). There were several clips that
were edited and encoded separately as HD MPEG-4. I didn't apply any grading,
because it's not that sort of project (the client just wants the video as a
record).

I uploaded the 19 files to Vimeo (using their desktop application, which
made the process fairly smooth), and added them to a channel I created for
the client (set to viewable by myself and the client only). I also checked
to make sure that the videos were not viewable, say from another account.

The client was then able to log into Vimeo, watch them online, and download
the original MP4 files if they wanted. They were also able to add comments
and I'd know exactly which clip they were referring to. In addition I could
add their logo to the channel page, which was a nice touch.

It wasn't a flawless experience-- I found that Vimeo seems to ignore the
pixel aspect ratio embedded in MP4 files (but strangely not in other
formats), and organising media isn't as easy as say Flickr. There's also a
uploading limit of 5 GB/week (on the paid account).

So what have I learned from this experience? Well it beats the previous
system I would use for this type of work (namely uploading the MP4s to a
password-protected directory on my web server and then bouncing emails back
and forth). It's quicker, much cheaper, and much more manageable for both
myself and my client. I can't think of any off-the-shelf system I could get
that would fulfil all those criteria. It also leads me to believe that the
same thing could be accomplished with YouTube (although I agree with what
others have said about Vimeo's superior quality, functionality, and general
appearance).

I'm now planning to start using it in a similar vein on a documentary
feature I'm involved with, in order to quickly send test shots to the client
for viewing.

Jack

--
Jack James, Surreal Road Limited