[Tig] Nice graded feauture

Carl Skaff carl at stopp.se
Tue Feb 2 08:36:23 GMT 2010

Speaking about great grading...

I just saw "Gamer" the other day.
I used my PS3 with was connected to my Sony VPL-HS60 projector via HDMI.
The PS3 was set to YCbCr and aperently my Projector didn't like that.

I watched the opening fight-sceen and it looked absolutely AMAZING.
The skintones were dimmed-blue and all the explosions and fire ware extremly Blue, like ice cold, super saturated.
Overall dark.
For the opening sceen witch is a gunfight, I didn't think there was a RGB/YUV problem, it looked so nice I just though it was a desired look trying to make it look/feel like a videogame.
It was when I came to the next scen, a normal world office scen, were I started to second doubt my setting.
Fiddled around a bit and got it to work as it was ment (actually, I could get it back to "wrong" again after that, must have been a hickup in the projector were it thought it was a RGB but it was YUV, although it seems to support YUV in the end)

If you have the movie on BluRay, a PS3 and connected to a Projector via HDMI. Have a look and hopefulle we'll see more of that look in the future..
(when looking in the correct colorspace it still looked good. but not the freaky blue look)

/Carl

---_--__--__--___--___--__--___--__--_____----_----___
Hey All,
Kudos to Stephen Nakamura for his work on "A Single Man".
I saw an average print at an average theatre, but the dynamic color changes from desat to color were really well done.
I know that a color dissolve is something so simple that we all do, but the execution in this picture was well done.
Very evocative of the period, and a great subliminal mood changer, all done with restraint and a steady hand.
I also like the way he damped down the HMI flicker in the overcranked shots.
Great job.
Best,
Bob
Disclaimer. Yes I have done more than one color dissolve before.

Carl Skaff
Head of Telecine
Stockholm Postproduction
www.stopp.se