[Tig] dailies

Steve Hullfish steve at veralith.com
Fri Feb 19 17:17:48 GMT 2010

For those doing dailies for film or TV, what are the software and
hardware products that are getting used to get 35mm film, RED, ARRI,
and various HD flavors to dailies?

I'm assuming 35mm is going from telecine through basic video channels
to either low-cost videotape (DVCAM, etc.) or through a computer with
video card direct to hard drive as Quicktime or MXF? Avid used to have
telecine software built-in to Symphony for direct import, is that
still on the most recent hardware? It's on my ancient Symphony. Is
anyone actually using it? What about RED or ARRI or the other file-
based cameras? How are you converting that? With RED Rocket and RED
software? Gamma and Density? And the HD camera footage is probably
going straight from the master tape as a dub to lower end tape or
through a computer with video card to a hard drive? Anyone doing
dailies from HD that has been recorded straight to an HDD or some
other tapeless technology? XDCAM/P2?