[Tig] dailies

Erik Hansen erik at monkeyswithchopstix.com
Tue Feb 23 03:27:40 GMT 2010

I won't get into hardware/software (because not fully aware of all the
subsystems involved) but will make some observations...

Double-sound is still the norm and will continue to be so. At some
point you have to sync picture and sound. "Telecine" dailies is still
often the most efficient place to do this (tape/film source).

Tape-based shows also are very much interested in having reels made
that are not the camera negative. As well as production not wanting to
see all the material, only circle takes. So it is very common to make
new tapes with new timecode of sync'd circle takes only. The benefit
of this process is that it is already setup for ALE/FLX production as
well as visual notation of problems in production - soft focus, boom
in shot, etc... Basically the same as film based productions. These
shows tend to still be cut in SD with DVCAM being the standard
deliverable. We also continue to use Avid MST systems for OMFI-based
SD (14:1) productions as this is tied directly into the telecine
process.

Additions to this process depend on the camera, F35/Genesis/Viper the
new tape (can't recall terminology at the moment) will untouched by
the dailies colorist. DVCAM (or other working tape) will have LUTs
applied or will have a correction applied (or combo of both).

The biggest problem I see for HD offline is that there are no current
existing systems that can replicate this baseband workflow. The
digitize is always a secondary/additional step for FCP/Avid. MTI
Control Dailies may have the ability to create offline media, not
really sure. As well as Bones, but as I am aware the benefits of those
systems is their (entire) file-based workflows. I would love to hear
how others may be approaching this problem.

File-based shows, depending on format may follow the above process if
a playback system (with RS422) is available (S.two via their own
playback or DDR [Spectaoft Rave]). Or if second unit and show is tape
based may just layoff to tape (SR/D5) and start back at the telecine
list process or a deliverable (DVCAM, offline media, etc) is made.
Sometimes it is just used for the online session.

Red is a different process entirely bit for editorial biggest issue is
that is far easier to work in HD for the offline edit. Due to Reds
rapid deploymment of camera firmware and software compatibility
issues, I feel that using their software is the best way of dealing
with new "color science", etc... Last year this was Red Rushes, Red
Alert. Now we have RedCineX (RocketCineX) with Red Rocket hardware.
While third party developers are still working around the SDK.
RedCineX and the Red Rocket are on their to actually making dealing
with the Red in post useable. With a Tangent Wave, Red Rocket and Red/
RocketCineX with it's Lift/Gamma/Gain controls, it's possible to have
a dailies colorist (instead of a data manager or DIT) do a color pass
before editorial gets the footage.

More later or questions if asked, but this is being written on my
iPhone.

Erik Hansen
Technical Supervisor
Modern VideoFilm
Datalab/Digital Media/VOD

Erik
323-316-3731

---

If you understand everything, you must be misinformed.
      - Proverb, (Japanese)