[Tig] Studies of TV contrast enhancement?

Erik Hansen erik at monkeyswithchopstix.com
Thu Feb 25 00:45:14 GMT 2010

To be blunt... This will never happen. Within the professional
industry there is no standard, so for the consumer space there is
little chance.

At the HPA Tech Retreat last week Charles Poynton suggested that there
should be no controls whatsoever on displays. They should all be setup
the same. He also said that even though he was on the comittee that
setup Rec709, Rec709 is broken as a standard. I have to go through my
notes if I can find the exact reasoning but nonetheless.

Actually my notes as written are "Rec709 does not map signal to
light". Later I wrote "all current mastering is done with SMPTE
phospurs with Rec709 display/distribution..."

As a display unit the most interesting coat effective setup was a
Panasonic 11/12 series plasma with a Cinetal Davio processing unit.
Peter Putman of ROAM and Panasonic were showing this.

Erik
323-316-3731

---

If you understand everything, you must be misinformed.
       - Proverb, (Japanese)

On Feb 24, 2010, at 2:43 PM, Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us