[Tig] Studies of TV contrast enhancement?

Craig Leffel craig at optimus.com
Thu Feb 25 05:09:56 GMT 2010

This conversation was mentioned at HPA, and it was suggested that most
manufacturers suggest using the "Standard" setting for the TV, or for
less saturation and deeper blacks, the "Cinema" setting that many flat
screens have. It was further pointed out that these setting line up
fairly closely to the standard settings many colorists and engineers use
for CRT's.... 100 nits. It was also pointed out that some displays may
go as high as 150 nits using these settings, but the person furthering
these ideas was persuasive in that he had checked a number of units in
test for CES. This was an argument against a presentation that claimed
some Plasmas and LCD's can be upwards of 400 - 500 nits. I disagree with
that assertion too. In my own viewing, I feel like flat panels with the
right settings in place can represent original grades pretty well.

I agree with his findings, and I will also tell you that many many
people leave their settings on "Vivid" or "Sports" which grossly distort
the color space and the accuracy to the original. However, there's no
stopping these people, and many of them probably just leave the settings
that in place when the unit shows up at their house. If you haven't
looked Bob, there are most likely presets in your set that are called
"Standard", "Vivid", "Sports" and "Cinema"... or something very much
like them. A couple of my sets even have user defined presets, but I
liked Cinema so much, I just kept it.

Good luck -

Craig Leffel
Optimus