[Tig] [Fwd: Re: Inconsistent video setup]

Craig Leffel craig at optimus.com
Thu Feb 25 21:51:36 GMT 2010

A few years ago, I would have thought the same thing Graham. But I've
seen the Panasonic side by side with my trusted Sony 32" CRT, and it's
unbelievably close - even without a Davio. A Davio just makes it a
really versatile, repeatable, solid setup. Besides, CRT's aren't being
sold anymore. They don't exist for new buyers. As much as I'd like to
stomp my feet and hold on to the old way of doing things, I'm really
tired of hearing that my CRT graded material doesn't look exactly the
same as on a flat screen. Time to move on into the 21st century folks.
Especially when the color space and quality are relatively equal.

CRT's are dead and should be dead. The reality is they've been dead for
3 years. If you're still grading on one, you're not looking at what the
majority of people will see when viewing your work. Especially when it
stops first at an agency and Client advertiser.

As for who's a colorist, I'll put my skills and my toolset up against
anyone who thinks working in Color alone makes you a "Colorist".
But, who really cares who calls themself a Colorist anyway? The proof is
in whether or not you can make a living doing it. If you can, and you
have clients, I guess it doesn't really matter what you call yourself.
It works in music and Art, why not our little world?

Just my 2 cents Graham.

Best -

Craig Leffel