[Tig] On the receiving end---(was Rec709 (was: Re: Studies of TV contrast...)

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Feb 26 17:41:00 GMT 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, peter_swinson at compuserve.com wrote:

> Lately a Sagemdesign fault has caused many more of these fantastic
> Sagem DLP displays toappear on Ebay.  The DLP engine includesa small
> light tunnel, to concentrate the lamp illumination onto the DLP
> chip.This tunnel comprises four narrow mirrors lining a rectangular
> metal tunnel. Theglue holding these mirrors was too brittle and is
> now failing causing themirrors to “sag”. This shows as shading at
> the image periphery.. However thetunnel is relatively easy to get
> at, and, with a suitable high temp flexibleglass glue the mirrors
> are easy to stick back in place.

This is precisely the failure which occured in my Samsung DLP display
and resulted in replacement of the light engine.  Probably there is a
common design/manufacturer for this component.  As with yourself, my
DLP TV arrived quite accurate (when in the right setting) although the
calibration guy was able to achieve a better picture.

I definitely agree with you that DLP is the most accurate technology
for consumer displays.  720P DLP was a sweet spot since each viewed
pixel corresponded to one DLP pixel (no "wobbulation").
Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of consumers primarily care
if the TV is a flat panel and they have not yet figured out how to
make DLP into a flat panel.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn