[Tig] Storage: 35 terabytes on one 4-inch tape

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Fri Feb 26 19:58:32 GMT 2010

IBM and Fujifilm have achieved a world record in magnetic tape
density: 30GB per square inch.  So a single cartridge can hold 35
terabytes.   The article is at

http://www.smartertechnology.com/c/a/Technology-For-Change/IBM-Brightens-Future-of-Magnetic-Tape-with-World-Record/

A penny per GB, which is a lot more frugal than the 10c per GB for HDD
storage.  This implies that storage of our image data will remain
inexpensive if done to tape.  IBM plans to increase density to 100GB
per square inch, "in anticipation of massive storage needs for
recorded video from the millions of security cameras..."  The
fascinating footage of Mossad agents in Dubai comes to mind.

I was on the UC San Diego campus yesterday at the Supercomputing
Center, which sadly has lost its NSF funding, and is apparently being
re-purposed for biotechnology.  The UCSD Center for Magnetic Recording
Research is addressing the need for increased density:
http://invent.ucsd.edu/technology/cases/2005/SD2005-003.shtml

Rob
--
Rob Lingelbach  TIG admin, founder