[Tig] Studies of TV contrast enhancement?

Bob Kertesz bob at bluescreen.com
Sun Feb 28 17:03:38 GMT 2010

>On some TVs (probably using default settings),
>the image is like a caricature of the original, with extreme contrast
>and saturated colors.  For sports programs this "caricature" effect
>may be intended, but it does not satisfy at all for film or drama
>programs.

Most sets sold today ship in "showroom" mode, which means the images are set
so that when the display is unpacked at Best Buy and set up in a showroom with
fifty other sets, the manufacturer has turned all the knobs up to "11" (knobs
being a theoretical construct) so that their set is the one that catches the
wandering consumers' eye. Accuracy is irrelevant. The only thing that matters
is that the image says "HEY, YOU! LOOK OVER HERE! COME AND CHECK THIS OUT".

The best consumer set I've seen in the last five years is the JVC DiLA set I
have in my living room, far superior and accurate reproduction to anything
else. Of course, nothing that good was going to prosper, so a back room deal
was made to stop producing those light engines and kill or at least severely
marginalize the DiLA technology. The marketing slime's repeated hammering of
"thinner is better" did the rest to pretty much kill off both it and DLP
engine sets, even though DLP finally figured out a way to get rid of the
rainbow which used to drive me nuts.

I do have to say that the really good Panasonic plasmas look quite good
indeed, but as consumer sets for, say, a bedroom, between the heat, power
consumption, and fan noise, it was a non-starter for me.

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC
Hollywood, California
bob at bluescreen.com

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTEĀ® compositing.