[Tig] Storage: 35 terabytes on one 4-inch tape

Bob Kertesz bob at bluescreen.com
Sun Feb 28 17:17:15 GMT 2010

>IBM and Fujifilm have achieved a world record in magnetic tape
>density: 30GB per square inch.  So a single cartridge can hold 35
>terabytes.

Boy, talk about putting all your eggs in one basket :-).

A single bit flip in the tape's header, and people will get remarkably
interesting looks on their faces when the software comes back with "Tape is
blank, format tape now?" and Gone With The Wind really will be :-).

And no, I don't have a better archiving suggestion because a good *long term*
solution has yet to present itself. But it sure as hell ain't magnetic tape as
far as I'm concerned.

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC
Hollywood, California
bob at bluescreen.com

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTEĀ® compositing.