[Tig] Studies of TV contrast enhancement?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Feb 28 19:32:46 GMT 2010

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Bob Kertesz wrote:

> The best consumer set I've seen in the last five years is the JVC DiLA set I
> have in my living room, far superior and accurate reproduction to anything
> else. Of course, nothing that good was going to prosper, so a back room deal
> was made to stop producing those light engines and kill or at least severely
> marginalize the DiLA technology. The marketing slime's repeated hammering of
> "thinner is better" did the rest to pretty much kill off both it and DLP
> engine sets, even though DLP finally figured out a way to get rid of the
> rainbow which used to drive me nuts.

DiLA can indeed be quite pleasing.  When DLP is done correctly, it can
also be quite pleasing and exceedingly stable.

Luckly, there are two new factors at work which might help revert some
bad things which have happened.  One of these is California-style
legal requirements for energy efficiency.  The other is 3D.

Even LCD panels consume much more power than a micro-device (e.g. LCOS
or DLP) based display.  Micro-device based displays (especially DLP)
are much faster to react than LCD or Plasma so they are better for 3D.

We can only hope.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn