[Tig] Nitrate, IP, Technicolor, Reversal

Jim Houston jdhouston at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 7 16:10:06 BST 2010

On Jul 7, 2010, at 4:01 AM, Ted Langdell wrote:

> I am scratching my head about the reference to "nine-strip Technicolor."  I'm aware of several two-color one-strip and two-color two-strip, and of course the one most of us remember three-strip, used for Gone With the Wind, among other features.
>
> There's no reference to nine-strip here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technicolor, and I can imagine what a nightmare managing nine strips of film would have been.  Technicolor 3D created six, with two cameras using the three-strip process.

The reference is a bit puzzling to me as well.  It might just have referred to the number of strips that could be used
 in the process. Nine strips would have been photographed as a three-strip, and then post-processed optically
 at the lab to create 'masking' elements, one or two per strip, to improve or creatively enhance the color
 rendition when printing.  It wasn't done very often, and I couldn't even name any films that used it
 for the entire project. I had thought of it as a 'fix-it' post process.
 You could think of it as each strip Y, C, M  having the other strips made into
 IPs with low density then combining each original strip with a masking strip as a bi-pack
 with partial exposure onto the matrix printing element.  It's primary usage was to reduce
 contrast and saturation. If the low-density masking strip was used for
 highlight or shadow 'control', it was referred to as a 'key' strip.

(The IB process could be considered a 7-strip process,  three camera neg strips,
 three color record matrix strips, one print strip.)

Jim Houston
Sony Pictures