[Tig] Nitrate stock

Robert Houllahan rob at cinelab.com
Wed Jul 7 18:41:06 BST 2010

> I should have clarified in my response that nitrate film's reputation differed among colorists and lab technicians, and that there was a tendency among many to refuse to handle it, this was the reputation I thought was 'undeserved.'  :]  And you're right that 'explosive' can be ascribed to very fast burning, which is how it behaves when ignited.

There is a simple solution to this... don't ignite it... ;-) I find that if the nitrate stock still looks like film and not Jello it will run through a telecine. I had some 35mm nitrate from Cuba shot probably a year before Castro took over through the lab about a year ago really beautiful look and no trace of degradation which was surprising.

-Rob- "Now with Y-Front"

Robert Houllahan
rob at cinelab.com
Colorist-Director