[Tig] YouTube can now play 4K

Riza Nur Pacalioglu riza at silver.co.uk
Tue Jul 13 00:08:25 BST 2010

"Perhaps where you are.

"In the U.S., there is little incentive for the carriers to improve the
service. We already pay one of the highest rates per byte of speed in the
industrialized world, coupled with one of the slowest overall services
anywhere. And they see no reason to spend any money to change that."

Shame if that is the case, but the overall Internet statistics doesn't tally with what you are seeing. Maybe it is the retail market which is bad, but as by far the largest market is commercial and educational, retail is not effecting the otherwise good figures.

"I can go from their site to download an enormous file from Microsoft, or
Adobe, or Apple, and I will get 20-30 Mb/s speed easily. YouTube under
identical conditions, fluctuates between 240-900 Kb/s."

I can assure you that, it is nothing to do with YouTube, but all to do with your ISP. You may have heard of bandwidth shaping. Almost every ISP shapes your bandwidth so that certain types of data/domains are throttled. YouTube is such a site. Here in UK we started to choose connection deals where you select how much throttle applied to you at what time.

YouTube has so much bandwidth that it is almost beyond comprehension. THAT is their hidden strength. On most States they own almost all of the fibre. If you think of the required data connection capacity of a single Google data centre that serves literally millions of simultaneous users, you can see that your stream cannot not be a limiting factor.

Warmest regards

Riza Nur Pacalioglu
Producer
Silver Productions, Salisbury, England