[Tig] LUTs from production - how useful are they?

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Wed May 5 19:28:12 BST 2010

On one level, every correction is a Look-Up Table, since it is really
a re-map of one set of values to another.

In Apple COLOR, LUTs are composed by creating a "Primary In"
correction and saving it to a special bin.  Then it can be loaded as
a global transform in a common-ish format that is advertised to be
compatible with a number of other systems.

But the decaying accuracy of terminology is alarming.  I'm asked to
"color" projects and to book "coloring" sessions, or to "font" a
scene with a lower-third...   "pan" up or down on a scene, every form
of recorded media is a "fillum"...

On 4-May-10, at 6:30 PM, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> It's also interesting to me how the term LUT has come to encompass
> "grading"

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
302-9664 106 Avenue