[Tig] LUTs from production - how useful are they?

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Thu May 6 01:10:34 BST 2010

On May 5, 2010, at 11:28 AM, Joe Owens wrote:

> In Apple COLOR, LUTs are composed by creating a "Primary In"
> correction and saving it to a special bin.  Then it can be loaded as
> a global transform in a common-ish format that is advertised to be
> compatible with a number of other systems.

That does seem to be a straightforward approach, easy to visualize and
implement.

> But the decaying accuracy of terminology is alarming.  I'm asked to
> "color" projects and to book "coloring" sessions, or to "font" a
> scene with a lower-third...   "pan" up or down on a scene, every
> form of recorded media is a "fillum"...

Is the terminology decaying predictably, linearly, or as a function
of...

candidates for overuse:

1) workflow.  3+ appearances per paragraph in facility PR.
2) LUT.  Seems to apply to everything.
3) linear.  In grading, has come to mean "video look."
4) high dynamic range (HDR)  How is that defined?

I like to differentiate "flip," a vertical inversion, from "flop," a
horizontal one, but few clients know of this subtlety.

A director once arrived late to my session where already were sitting
a famous DP and clients.  He asked, flamboyantly, "Where are your
upper mids."

Aside from the terminological aspect, which was better addressed years
later here, my approach was to give him a number, which came out as
"67."   "Try 64" was his response.  Everyone sighed happily.

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org