[Tig] automated correction based on flesh tone

Richard Kirk richard at filmlight.ltd.uk
Thu May 6 09:06:34 BST 2010

> From: Rob Lingelbach <rob at colorist.org>
>
> A research paper at
> http://tinyurl.com/267lfbz
>
> proposes a system for automated color correction based on skin tone.

Does this work? Skin tone has two degrees of freedom - the light-dark
yellow (melanin) level and reddening (sunburn/rash). With darker skin,
the melanin masks out the reddening, but light skins with sunburn can
show a range of hues. If you have blue light, then you can see more of
the sub-surface veins in light skin: it is metameric. Light skin is
complex stuff to image. Not the stuff you would normally chose as a
color standard, but I guess it is important to get it sensible.

Looking at the post, it does not look a significant advance on the
auto-correction stuff used in photo printing labs in the 1990's. They
don't seem to have any sunburnt white people in their test set, which
is what I reckon might break this. However, they do manage to
distinguish between some skin tones instead of slapping on the 50's
Technicolor orange. If you are stuck, then it might be a good tool for
setting up an initial grade.

Cheers.
Richard Kirk