[Tig] 3D monitor calibration, industry standards?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon May 17 17:08:41 BST 2010

On Mon, 17 May 2010, David Mackenzie wrote:

> Hi all,
> During my capabilities as a Hardware Reviewer, I'm right now scrutinising
> Panasonic's home use 3D display for the European market (TX-P50VT20). It
> uses the frame packing method and active shutter glasses to achieve a 3D
> effect.
>
> To calibrate greyscale to D65 and colour to Rec.709 in the 3D mode, I have
> attached one lens of the the shutter glasses to end of our Klein K-10
> colorimeter and have attempted to compensate for the shifts caused by the
> combination of the glasses and the screen's higher refresh rate (using the
> Greyscale and basic Colour Hue/Saturation controls that we were successful
> in getting Panasonic to add on their 2010 consumer models).

I think that you have a difficult problem since it is likely that no
two sets of shutter glasses perform the same and the shutter action
may throw off the measurement of the colorimeter.  It seems to me that
the only successful calibration method would be by doing a traditional
2D calibration with the left and right views set to the same image.

Perhaps the calibration could be done through a set of shutter glasses
but the hardware should support holding the shutter "open" for the
calibration, and this would still not deal with any impact of the
shutter effect, which will cut the apparent brightness at least in
half due to being closed half the time.

LCD-based shutter glasses will polarize the light, or will pass
correctly polarized light, so there is additional light loss depending
on the nature of your screen.  It may be that some colorimeters do not
give accurate measurements for polarized light.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn