[Tig] full gamut vs. gamut controlled

Janet Falcon janet at shootersinc.com
Mon May 17 17:43:13 BST 2010

Hi all,
Our beloved crt just died, so we replaced it with a Cinetal Cinemage
LCD monitor.  My question is how are most colorists setting up their
monitors, full gamut, or gamut controlled?  The gamut controlled
setting seems to be closer to what I am used to seeing, but I
understand the full gamut shows what actually exists.  Are home
monitors capable of showing full gamut, and if so, is full gamut being
broadcast?  What about dvd/blurays?  Are they capable of showing full
gamut?  I should probably add that we do all types of work, including
commercials and broadcast releases for feature films.  The majority of
work being done in this suite is for commercial or dvd/bluray
release.  All of our grading for theatrical release is being done on a
projector which is native p3 color space and LUTed into what ever the
final release will be.
Thanks!

SHOOTERS POST & TRANSFER
THE CURTIS CENTER SUITE 1050 INDEPENDENCE SQUARE WEST PHILADELPHIA,
PA  19106
SHOOTERSINC.COM     215-861-0100     THE-DIVE.NET

JANET FALCON - SENIOR COLORIST