[Tig] 3D monitor calibration, industry standards?

Jim Houston jdhouston at earthlink.net
Tue May 18 15:12:33 BST 2010

yes, there are no standards yet... it is the Wild West with a lot of changes in
panels.  It will stabilize over the next year...  SMPTE is still working on standards
for normal flat panel LCDs and Plasmas.

First, don't use a 3D display for the color timing session.  Time for color balance on a
calibrated rec709 monitor (purposefully set dim) Then bring it over to a 3D display for a quick contrast and
saturation mod (and convergence pass).

The manufacturing tolerances in 3D displays are huge right now... everything from
the polarizers to active glasses to flat panels are all over the map even in the same
model line.  Setup the 3D display for about 90% of it's max light output... if that is close
to 'standard', all the better.  Use the default settings on the monitor (it may be in 'Vivid'),
(Standard or Cinema mode if you still want to be ballpark close to a standard 709)
Set the monitor for a D65 white point without glasses because there is too much
variation in glasses to trust what you are going to get.

then cross your fingers.

Jim Houston
VP Technology
Sony Pictures Entertainment