[Tig] 4K Data Protocol Anyone?

Paul Korver paul at cinelicious.tv
Tue May 18 17:05:34 BST 2010

I've worked on a few installs of 4K monitoring/grading environments
and we resorted to Octo-Link HDSDI to achieve 4 x 2048 x 1080 making
up a quadrant-based, 444,  4096 x 2160 image.  Obviously, Octo-link
HDSDI is less than ideal.  And dual-dual DVI can be 4096 x 2160 but is
still 8-bit in it's native specification.

Does anyone know if SMPTE, Texas Instruments, Sony, Christie or Barco
is working on a protocol for uncompressed 4K transmission?

With the coming 4K DLP chip from TI it seems like the way we transmit
4K data to a 4K projector could be greatly improved.  Why not some
sort of 8GB+ Fiber-Link?

Just wanted to open the discussion in hopes that someone is working on
something.

What's the word?

Paul Korver
Proprietor