[Tig] dual link on NVIDIA SDI card

Bob Kertesz bob at bluescreen.com
Tue May 18 20:17:04 BST 2010

>I have an NVIDIA Quadro FX 5800SDI.

Please post your experience with the card after a few days of use.

I worked on a 3D test shoot for what later became a 2D feature, and the guys
at the studio's VFX division were using one of these to output the 3D
backgrounds into my two Ultimattes, and there were LOTS of issues, big and
small.

Highly unstable outputs that had difficulty driving 100 feet of premium HD
cable, 2nd output would come and go, would genlock in a different vertical
space with each reboot (and there were lots of those), and so on. I finally
just inserted a framesync into each feed and used those for timing and to
ensure proper genlock.

This was a while ago, so I have to assume things have gotten a lot better for
the roughly $7K this thing costs, but would appreciate a user's review.

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC
Hollywood, California
bob at bluescreen.com

DIT and Video Controller extraordinaire.
The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE® compositing.©

High quality images for more than three decades - whether you've wanted them or not.©