[Tig] Academy Award for Colorists?

Marc Wielage mfw at musictrax.com
Wed May 19 21:56:13 BST 2010

On 5/19/10 5:24 AM, "Owen Williams" <owen at ywwg.com> wrote on the TIG list:

> As grading has become more than
> just
color timing, it has become a real art of its own,
> at least comparable
to Sound Mixing.  Has there been any
> movement to try to get the Academy
to officially recognize
> the work that colorists do, and if not, how
could such a
> movement get started?

>------------------------------<snip>------------------------------<

Sound mixers and cinematographers have powerful IA unions (695 and 600,
respectively), along with a long tradition in these Hollywood crafts.

My gut feeling is, the Academy has been trying to simplify and reduce the
number of awards, especially on the televised Oscar show.  They're not out
to add a completely new category.  (If anything, they'd probably do
something trendy like "Best 3D Film.")

Also, there's never been an Oscar for traditional photochemical color
timing, even though I know that's a far cry from what happens in D.I. suites
today.  There are several independent post awards for color-correction, both
in the U.S. and overseas, but none for the Emmies or Oscars.

--Marc Wielage
  freelance colorist