[Tig] Panasonic PF20 (TH-42PF20) Review

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri May 21 17:44:46 BST 2010

On Fri, 21 May 2010, Riza Nur Pacalioglu wrote:

> A good and comprehensive review for a decent 40 inch pro Plasma
> display, which may interest the group as it maybe suitable for
> grading rooms. At less than £1200 (GBP) quite affordable as well.
>
> It is a shame that at this day and age a leading manufacturer can
> deliver a 'pro' monitor that fails to display the correct Rec-709
> colour space and that you still have to use an external box with LUT
> correction.

A little while back, Widescreen Review reviewed the larger 65"
version.  Widescreen Review does not review many products and so it
chooses products which it feels are the best in the industry and then
evaluates them in excruciating detail.  The 65" version (starting at
$10k) does not seem to have these issues and it was reported to
provide excellent calibration interfaces.  I got the impression that
the 65" version includes some of the technology acquired from the
Pioneer Kuro plasma displays.

Perhaps the new consumer models provide better blacks, or perhaps it
is just the typical consumer illusion of better blacks (e.g. bogus
measurements of all pixels fully on and fully off).  The new Panasonic
consumer plasmas are definitely more power efficient.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn