[Tig] Premature Death of SR

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Mon Apr 4 19:55:15 BST 2011

On 3-Apr-11, at 8:32 PM, Sean McKee wrote:

> Will movies shot raw be revisited someday as degaussing algorithms
> improve in quality?

The notion of revisiting, scanning or whatever, original elements, of
any kind, seems like a Mug's Game to me.  Who is going to do all the
intervening post work? For which... EDLs likely no longer exist,
grade lists don't either, or if any actually do, they're for systems
that are no longer in use, completely obsolete, using formats that
are no longer supported, or are based on gamuts and coding that have
been revised...  I have Apple "COLOR" projects that can never be
revived, and that's in the past 3 years.  Simple, basic stuff, but
next version...?  Old projects are GONE.

Somebody's going to re-do all the compositing/cleanup work, for which
anything done in the last 20-30 years has at least 20-40% content, if
not more?  Archiving gets pretty short shrift -- it doesn't add
anything but above-the-line expense and really doesn't help the
quarterly reports.  Let's say, CB deMille's "Ten Commandments"
somehow got earmarked for  3D release.  ;-P  Probably cheaper and
faster just to do it all over again, even though the conventional
wisdom to this point is that it would not be affordable to shoot,
given contemporary methods and costs.  Somehow, I doubt that, even re-
mapping Charlton Heston onto someone in a blue rubber suit ala Jeff
Bridges/TRON might seem attractive once the real restoration costs
started being tallied.

Rescan the neg/RAW and you're all done?  Seems like a pretty remote
probability.

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
302-9664 106 Avenue