[Tig] What's new at NAB

Ken Metzker kenmetzker at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 14 10:39:33 BST 2011

Hi all,

What's happenning in Las Vegas. Any major news?

Also, I am really having a hard time deciding if this is good news for colorists or bad:

>From a DaVinci at NAB newsletter:

DaVinci Resolve Lite

This
is exciting news, and we have worked so hard to be able to offer a new
DaVinci Resolve Lite for Mac OS X that's completely free for download
and use by anyone!

We
really think that color correction is so amazing, and what it can do
for the quality of video production is so good, that we think a free
version of DaVinci Resolve will really help boost the art of color
correction. Color correction is an art in itself, and we hope a lot
more people will be able to use it now with DaVinci Resolve Lite.

DaVinci
Resolve Lite includes all the same high quality processing as the full
DaVinci Resolve, however limits projects to SD and HD resolutions, only
two color correction nodes, a single processing GPU and a single RED
rocket card.

Stereoscopic
3D features, noise reduction, power mastering, remote grading and
sharing projects with an external database server are features only
offered in the full DaVinci Resolve so are not included in this free
DaVinci Resolve Lite edition. Customers who want to eliminate these
restrictions can purchase the full DaVinci Resolve Software for only
US$995.

Even
without these features on DaVinci Resolve Lite, image quality is never
limited, and you still get the same incredible image processing quality
of DaVinci Resolve. DaVinci Resolve Lite can still accept high
resolution source footage in 2K and 4K from the latest digital cameras
from RED and ARRI, so it’s also a fantastic digital camera utility.

DaVinci
Resolve Lite also includes high quality optical resizing, curve
grading, XML import and export, 32 bit float processing, YRGB image
processing, multi layer timelines, stabilization, window tracking,
primary and secondary color correction, real time processing, capture
and playback with deck control, compatibility with third party control
panels and many more.

It's
really exciting, and DaVinci Resolve Lite will be available on our web
site to download about 2-3 weeks after DaVinci Resolve 8 ships.

In
about 2 weeks time we will be posting, on the DaVinci Resolve page on
our web site, a complete feature list of each model of DaVinci Resolve.
This will make it clear what features are included in the free version
compared to the full version.

Any comments?

Cheerios,
ken