[Tig] Times are a-changing (?)

Bob Curreri bobcurreri at me.com
Thu Aug 11 06:15:40 BST 2011

It's a different world out there for sure. This is my 3rd year as freelancer and it took this long to match the money I was making as a staffer. You have to be willing to walk into a situation and make the best of it. Much like a DP has to do sometimes with a crap lighting package or no lights at all. For a lot of new filmmakers, post production is not about the gear anymore. There was a time when they had a pile of negative and couldn't do a thing with it - they had no choice but to go to a post house or a film lab with telecine. Now they have full rez files sitting on a drive on their desk,  and the software to play with it. Who can blame them?

That said, people still recognize and appreciate the art form. It's a more level playing field than ever. I romanticize the old days and will continue to do so but it's time to adapt or die. But hey ... I just booked a gig from a producer who saw a video that was leaked to YouTube BEFORE color and then leaked again AFTER color.  He was very impressed and was asking how it did it, etc. That was a first for me.

Keep your chins up.