[Tig] Times are a-changing (?)

Michael Bittle mlbnyc at verizon.net
Thu Aug 11 14:50:14 BST 2011

My two Lira:

It's called disruptive technology for a reason.  And the phenomena has been around since stone chisels and mallets.

Think of textiles, shoes, machinery, automobiles, technical services…. the model is the same.

Artist/Craftsman gives way to improved tools/productivity, gives way to division of labor/specialization gives way to automation gives way to outsourcing.

The products and markets change as the range between top quality and entry level expand.  The pyramid morphs.  The top gets really narrow, the bottom gets really fat. The three market segments of hi, medium, low don't live at constant levels. They oscillate independent of each other like biorhythm graphs.  All driven by the underlying technology and skill sets.

For the practitioner, it's best to know your market niche and do it well, with the understanding that in this game of musical chairs, there are fewer and fewer chairs at the mid and high level.

(cue chorus to The Gambler)

FWIW,
Mike

Mike Bittle