[Tig] Epic V Alexa

Craig Leffel craig at optimus.com
Wed Aug 17 20:47:53 BST 2011

Dave -

I agree.... Though in truth, I don't think colorists are really comparing apples to apples in the way of two telecines.

It seems to me that a lot if colorists either preconvert R3D to something that is easier to work with, or in their ignorance they slap a Rec709 profile on it in the Decode area and then claim it's hard to work with.

If you use the R3D at native source - and for my timelines that means a mixture of 2K, 3K and 4K material quite often - AND you set for something like Redcolor Redlog as your gamma and colorspace... Then you are as close to preserving the entire dynamic range of capture data as possible, and given yourself the means to work with it... Much like a raw still file from a DSLR, and with almost as much range. Sure, is that setup and experience a little more time consuming than spinning the dials on an Alexa file? Sure it is. Harder? Not if you know what you're actually doing, and not pretending. More range than the current examples of Prores Alexa Log-C? Absofuckingloutely!! Not even a question when used in experienced hands.

Just my 5 cents -

CL

This has been a Mobile Transmission

>>> http://reels.colorist.org