[Tig] Regular 8mm Film That No Longer Measures 8mm Wide--and is wavy and curly

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Thu Dec 8 20:22:48 GMT 2011

On Dec 6, 2011, at 12:26 AM, Andreas Widerøe wrote:

> I think a bigger problem during scanning would be to keep the image stable,
> at least if the Millenium II has sprocket rollers for the sync pulse (not
> sure about this). Shrunken film will jump on the sprockets which will lead
> to an unstable image. However, today unstable images can be corrected with
> an image stabilizaion tool on a computer.
>
> Perhaps the guys at Cintel have some input here?

How about the guy(s) from MWA Nova in Berlin?

It's patented laser-based perf detection and image stabilization system can help here. The lasers replace sprockets, so there's no issue with jumping the sprocket teeth.

The laser system compensates for shrinkage on a sprocket hole-by-sprocket hole basis to keep the image vertically stable.  That makes for a faster turnaround and less post-transfer work and storage needed.

> Perhaps a better approach would be to get a 2K scan (correct aspect ratio)
> and correct each frame using a software tool like DaVinci Revival or
> similare. I think there are a few scanners out there that can do 2K from
> Reg8 now.

The new MWA flashtransfer Choice 2K+ is one of them. The sensor is 2.3K x 1.7K, for a 4:3 aspect ratio that matches most material likely to be transferred.

The combination of laser-based positioning and gently curved gate(s) on the the Choice 2K+ will help keep the film flat at the point of imaging and better aligned, especially with the wavy and curly "lasagna film" John described.

By way of information, the Choice 2K+ can do 8mm, Super8 with magnetic sound on main and balance stripes and 16mm with mag stripe and optical sound, along with silent 9.5mm, 17.5 "split 35" and 28mm.

> That would also be about the theoretical limit (line pairs per mm)
> of the best filmstocks for format. I imagen the GoldenEye scanner would do a
> good job here.

There could be benefits from scanning on the Golden Eye III and its software as well, depending on the end result needed. It has 2K and 4K sensor systems available, as well as optional gates so it can cover 8, 16, 35 and 70mm film.

If further stabilization or restoration is needed, various products could complete the work.  Andreas mentioned Blackmagic's DaVinci Revival, repped by my friend Gary Adams.

The Phoenix line of restoration tools from Image Systems (maker of the Golden Eye III) is another possibility.

Most software developers are providing short-term trial versions for download, so it's fairly easy to see what might work on a particular piece of film.  Check respective websites.

Hope this is helpful.

Ted

Disclosure: I am the US/Canadian distributor for MWA Nova, (which is a long-time Image Systems/Digital Vision distributor) and can provide IS products by arrangement with Image Systems.

Ted Langdell
flashscan8.us

iPhone:  (530) 301-2931
Office:    (530) 741-1212
ted at flashscan8.us
Skype:   TedLangdell

See us at NAB 2012, April 16-19 in Booth SL-9607