[Tig] Regular 8mm Film That No Longer Measures 8mm Wide

John A. Mozzer jamworks at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 13 02:36:56 GMT 2011

I should explain, when I originally attempted to post "Regular 8mm Film
That No Longer Measures 8mm Wide" on Monday, December 5, I had already
taken advantage of a holiday special at a service using the Millennium
II.  I had them scan a reel in HD, which had already been scanned in SD
about two years ago.

In the new HD scan, overscan (as intended) revealed some of the film
being under the width of the gate cut out, compared to other film on the
same reel.

Meanwhile, I perceived faces being thin in the HD transfer, when
comparing it to the earlier SD transfer.  (The SD transfer appears
correct to me, though I don't really know for sure.)

I no longer believe the image is actually distorted on the film itself.
Also, I realize now the film may have been slit poorly (when processed
by the lab), as opposed to having shrunk.

The service is fixing the problem for me.  But I remain interested in
speculation about what may have gone wrong, specific to the Millennium
II (hopefully, in lay person's terms.)

As for trying other scanners, I am definitely interested, but I've used
up my budget for now.

John A. Mozzer
Los Angeles, CA