[Tig] Prores decode and encode finally in FFMPEG

Cem Ozkilicci cemoz101 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 18 22:00:27 GMT 2011

Cedric wrote:

"It's not that difficult, today you can already work everything DPX, it's just that it doesn't make any sense in a lot of scenarios..."

Yes, I have been working with DPX for years now. There is also a significant drop in material that is
natively DPX/Cineon (film scans) which is obviously due to the decline in the
use of film. There is also a significant drop in the need to convert to DPX due to software manufacturers supporting other formats like QT codecs, Prores, DNxHD, R3D, ARRIRAW, Phantom RAW, bla bla bla RAW... so yes, it doesn't make much sense to convert to DPX because the RAW files can be used AND interpreted in variety of combinations (color spaces, gamma settings, filter settings, ISOs etc...) which is in turn one of the issues here and the other is that we rely on too many proprietary formats.

At the end of the day, if you talk about broadcast standards, a Digi Beta tape was a standard back in the day. It did not matter who manufactured the tape (Fuji/Sony/Maxell) it had a standard.

By the way, I haven't heard of that many facilities (if not any) that actually work with ACES through the entire pipeline (editorial/grading/online/vfx). If there are, someone please enlighten me...:)

Cheers!

Cem

Colorist
Storyline Studios / Oslo