[Tig] IIF Status

Kevin Shaw kevs at finalcolor.com
Thu Dec 22 12:15:57 GMT 2011

Hi Jarek

We did use Kodak lad plus some other test frames I have as a check on the film prints, But the main issue was and always is, to calibrate the grading projector to look exactly like the actual release print, which is NOT a standard repeatable color gamut (Digital cinema and rec709 color spaces ARE standard gamuts). A film print varies from lab to lab and I have not ever seen a generic LUT work as accurately as a custom LUT for cinema prints.

In my original article
http://www.icolorist.com/Blog/2011/09/looking-good-everywhere-a-color-management-case-study/
I did write as myself, but the article was later published by Digital Studio and they re-wrote it in the third person for their magazine. Sorry if you felt it was too much advertising. Any posting, or publishing is of course a type of advertising, but I always aim to offset that by contributing something useful. And as they say in all good promotions - there is no obligation to buy.

I did not fully understand your question about RRT and post filtering and I am not suggesting that I am an authority on ACES, although I am enthusiastic about including it in my workflow as much as possible.

The plan is for one RRT which is imho a part of Look Management and therefore does not have to consider post filtering, compression and the differences between different distribution formats. If anything these changes  should be accommodated by having a different ODT for each display/distribution type.

I use selective sharpening quite a lot as part of my grading/look management, but I agree with you that there needs to be a different amount of global sharpening, and in some cases grain, depending on the display version. Sometimes the budget does not allow for this to be properly considered, but usually some sharpening is possible in the film recorder and when possible I like to see test prints to ensure that the artistic intent reaches the cinema.

My advice is know what the primary display type is, get that right, and then, time and budget allowing, make the necessary alterations to other versions

Happy Christmas and as always
Happy Coloring

Kevin Shaw		kevs at finalcolor.com
      colorist, instructor and consultant

Click here to subscribe to the ICA newsletter and mailing list

www.finalcolor.com 		www.icolorist.com
This message was sent by Kevin Shaw of Finalcolor Ltd. and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorised to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. It is believed, but not warranted, that this e-mail, including any attachments, is virus free. However, you should take full responsibility for virus checking. Thank you for your cooperation.