[Tig] camera dynamic range quotes are getting silly!

Kevin Wheatley hxpro at cinesite.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 17:36:05 GMT 2011

peter_swinson at compuserve.com wrote:
> Now to digitize this uncompressed at 4K thats 4096 x 3112 = 12megapixels x 126 bits/ 8 = 200Mbytes/frame
>
> There we are, cracked it

when we scanned The African Queen, we had to use 16 bit mono 4K scans
(so on a Northlight that's really something like >10 and <=14) for
each of the 3 strips in order to scan the dynamic range with
sufficient quality. So your idea is not that crazy :-)

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd |   Nobody thinks this    |
| Head of Software Engineering          | My employer for certain |

Cinesite (Europe) Ltd. Registered Office: HemelOne, Boundary Way, Hemel Hempstead, Herts, HP2 7YU Registered in Cardiff No. 2820389 VAT No. 630 5446 60