[Tig] 1Tb & 2Tb Raid disks, what make/model?

Jean-Francois Panisset panisset at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 05:46:26 GMT 2011

Since you are talking about 1TB/2TB drives, I'm guessing you have
ruled out 15K RPM SAS drives are and going with 7200RPM SATA drives.
For a disk array holding production data, I would certainly suggest
sticking with "enterprise" grade SATA drives rather than
consumer/desktop models. In particular, enterprise drives are designed
to be hosted in an array with multiple other drives, and thus not be
as affected by harmonic vibrations from all the other drives. I you
want to see an example of how drives are affected by vibrations, check
out this Sun dude screaming at his disk array:

http://blogs.sun.com/brendan/entry/unusual_disk_latency

Typically, enterprise-grade SATA drives comes from either Seagate or Hitachi:

For Seagate 3.5" Constellation ES drives:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/enterprise-hard-drives/constellation-es/

They apparently also now have 2.5" drives up to 1TB in the Constellation line:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/enterprise-ssd-hdd/constellation

Something to consider is getting drives "nearline drives with a SAS
interface", sometimes called "fat sas" drives: the advantage is that
you don't have to add "interposer" dongles to the drives to get dual
porting, so that's one less piece of electronics that can break. It is
also said that since the SAS protocol is more efficient than the SATA
protocol, you can get a bit more performance from the same mechanicals
with a SAS interface than with a SATA interface. Also, recent drives
will have 6 gbit/sec SAS interfaces, so it might be interesting to
look at the Atto R680 controller which supports 6gbit/sec SAS ports.
The R380 has 8 3 gbit/sec ports, which should be plenty for 20 drives,
but if you ever plan to hang daisy chain more storage, building a 6
gbit/sec solution might make sense.

Equivalent drives from Hitachi would be the UltraStar 7K3000, which is
also available in 3TB models if you get really greedy:

http://www.hitachigst.com/internal-drives/enterprise/ultrastar/ultrastar-7k3000

Western Digital is also now in the enterprise drive business, but I
haven't had any experience with their drives yet:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=30

JF