[Tig] Premature Death of SR

quinn qrichardson at quinessa.com
Mon Mar 21 16:09:05 GMT 2011

Dudes...
This is supposed to be about informed discussion, not a pissing match.

Criags points are valid.
Not everyone or every prod co is James Cameron or George Lucas.
Things may be going that way, but not every place has jumped on board the cutting edge bandwagon.

Many places like to work with known quantities and proven processes.

Jeff Heuser throws down the good point too that digital is also a creative choice.

Going digital really just moves your production costs to your post-production costs.

Film and tape don't have gamma shift pitfalls that you may run into on certain computer platforms .
Dailies need to be rendered out.
Your long term storage format may be relatively stable (but who knows yet... it hasn't been around long enough to prove itself)

Jeff...
I'm not discounting your points either, I just think film will always be relevant for those that choose and for the reason they choose it.

It's a matter of picking your poisons.
cost - pay for it at the lab or at the post house.
waiting time - pay for it waiting for dailies to be developed or pay for it while waiting for the conversion to your codec of choice.
I would suggest always grading in a proper suite (doesn't need to be telecine)
film grain is an aesthetic choice.