[Tig] Premature Death of SR

Owen Williams owen at ywwg.com
Mon Mar 21 17:56:06 GMT 2011

My understanding is that most episodic television is shot digitally
these days, and not because of any workflow or cost issue, but avoid
labor issues.  SAG threatened to go on strike, and since the SAG
contracts specified film origination, the studios found a loophole
whereby they could shoot digitally and pay actors under the AFTRA
contract, which was specific to video-originated media.  The next season
most shows went digital under new AFTRA contracts.

related links:
http://digitalmedialaw.blogspot.com/2010/02/pilots-overwhelmingly-aftra-again.html
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118033316

Owen Williams